Make a difference in our community today. This is a great time to fill out your Census 2020 questionnaire! So far the completion rate for King County is 54%.
Why do this? The census count will impact:
- The power of our political voice–how many representatives Washington gets in Congress and in the Electoral College.
- How much money our communities receive in federal funding for programs like education, Medicaid, student loans, Section 8 housing vouchers, Head Start, child care, parks and transit. In 2016 Washington State received $16.7 billion in these funds, equaling $2,319 for each resident. Multiply that by 10 years, and each person really DOES have an impact!
- The distribution of hospitals, schools, fire departments, and more
- Enforcement of civil rights.
The official census will not contact you by email, and you will never be asked to provide your social security number, bank account numbers, or other private security information. You should not be asked to fill out the census in order to qualify for payment, including a stimulus check. If you are, ignore it. That is a scam. There is no citizenship question on the census. According to law, the results cannot go to law enforcement, ICE, or your landlord. It is safe and secure.
To get inspired to complete the census, watch this wonderful new song and video release by the Tacoma Refugee Choir—because we all need to share the joy right now and to remember there’s power in being counted! Here is the YouTube link.
If you have any questions about how to respond, please contact Elizabeth Dickinson at Dickinson.fanwa.org
Choose any one of the three following ways to respond:
- Look for your letter from the Census that provides an internet link and a personalized Census ID# to participate. This is a great opportunity to involve your children! Get started online at 2020census.gov
- By phone: Call 844-330-2020 for English, 844-468-2020 for Spanish. You can complete the census by phone in 14 languages or TDD. Phone numbers are here: gov/en/ways-to-respond/responding-by-phone.html
- By mail. Some people will automatically get a census form in the mail to complete by hand. Later, if you haven’t responded online or by phone, you will also receive a form in the mail.