~ Patti Brandt & Carol Nelson
As the pledge campaign progresses, the Love & Justice Committee (L & JC) wishes to highlight how your giving makes a difference. This month, we share information on our decision processes. The pie charts included here and in October were completed by Carol Nelson.
L & JC members work toward balancing the yearly funding so each of our five priorities are addressed. The typical funding practice:
- Allocation from the congregation’s general annual budget supports outside direct service agencies and social change organizations. These groups are often recommended by action teams working in aligned areas.
- Income from our Endowment is directed towards: major projects proposed by the committee, 501C3s, and the work of action teams. Currently there are sixteen action teams of various levels of activity and three partner 501C organizations: Child Care Programs, Mwanzo, and UCHA.
For more information on our decision processes and funding criteria, https://universityucc.org/what-we-do/love-and-justice/ click on the 2019 Love & Justice Ministry Guide. There you can find a list of church-affiliated action teams and leads.
1. 2019 Special Offerings, $54.7K donated
Monthly Special Offerings provide the most direct way for the congregation to support particular programs. Four national Offerings and one for our Childcare programs occur on designated months. The L&J Ministry Guide 2019 has guidelines for choosing recipients for the remaining seven months.
2. 2019 Proportion of L & J monies directed to
Action teams & UCUCC affiliated 501Cs.
This compares the funding of Action Teams to community direct-service and social change organizations. The Action teams and 501Cs that received funding of their proposals during the 2019 budget were: Multicultural Circle, Mwanzo, Peace and Justice Advocates, Racial Justice and Sacred Earth Matters.
3. 2019 Total Council and L&J distribution of funds, 247 K
This is the total picture of UCUCC’s giving and the proportion that the Council allocates as distinct from L&JC responsibilities. OCWM (Our Church’s Wider Mission), is a national UCC funding program that supports the local, national, global Justice and Witness Ministries.
We hope the information we’ve provided over the last two months gives you a better understanding of how your donations help others.