University Congregational United Church of Christ
4515 16th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105
Interim Music Director
Email your resume and cover letter to: gro.ccuytisrevinu@eciffo by June 26, 2020. Our search team will begin reviewing applications June 8. The anticipated start date of the Interim Music Director is July 24, 2020.
The Interim Music Director is responsible for developing and delivering the overall music program for digital worship for the church year. This includes collaborating with other worship leadership to offer a digital worship experience that is faithful and effective for an online setting, by incorporating and integrating music recordings into the worship service. Also included is planning and directing digital meetings and rehearsals with the Chancel Choir. The position is approximately twenty-five hours per week. This position is a long-term temporary position, with the possibility to apply for the permanent position when we are able to gather for in-person worship.
University Congregational United Church of Christ (UCUCC) is an Open and Affirming congregation, and encourages applicants of all gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ability, and religious background to apply.
Acting under the direction of the Music and Worship Committee and with the supervision of the Minister of Worship and Christian Education:
• Select and/or arrange music appropriate for the worship service and concerts, with sensitivity to the liturgical year, as well as themes and texts of each Sunday’s worship
• Coordinate and arrange music for Sunday worship, including recording or soliciting video content, and working with our worship team on securing copyrights
• Partner with the Leadership Team in planning the Order of Worship for the Sunday morning digital worship services
• Participate as a supportive, vital and collegial member of Church’s worship team, including pastoral staff, and others who serve in the worship ministries, attending weekly meetings (online) to plan worship and other staff meetings as required
• Plan and lead online Chancel Choir rehearsals on Thursday nights and support their participation in creating recorded choral music for worship
• Direct, train, and recruit Chancel Choir members and help them through this time of transition
• Expand, encourage, and develop the technical and musical skills of the choir
• Coordinate and supervise the professional activities of the Organist, assuring coverage at any service or appropriate church activity
• Support a vision for the use of instrumentalists in our worship services
• Hire and supervise guest musicians to create content for digital worship
• Provide music-related information through the church newsletter, the Sunday bulletin, website and e-mail and prepare and submit information for the Order of Worship
• Oversee and implement a music program for children and youth and promote intergenerational music making within the context of worship
• Attend periodic meetings, 5 to 7 per year, of the Music and Worship Committee
• Help plan choir retreats each quarter
• May be involved in coordination of musicians for non-Sunday/regular services and events (for example: memorials, weddings, all-church fellowship activities)
• Participate in the budgeting process
• May oversee or implement music-making opportunities for other ensembles within the congregation
• May plan, prepare and direct two concerts per year
Qualifications/skills and knowledge requirements:
• Proven leadership skills and an ability to think strategically
• Demonstrated success in working as part of a team
• Facility with music and video production software such as Sibelius, Finale, Garage Band or similar software
• Facility with organization of music and notes electronically
• Facility with Zoom and video conferencing software
• Virtual and online community building
• Understanding of and commitment to the mission of the church
• A thorough expertise in a wide variety of sacred choral repertoire
• A knowledge of and openness to performing other musical styles from jazz,
to folk, to contemporary, to world music
• Master’s degree related to music preferred
• Connection with the broader musical community in the Seattle area preferred
• Desire to grow in ministry of music and musical skills
• Five to ten years of experience in directing church choirs is preferred
• Experience in directing instrumental groups (ensembles, orchestras) preferred
This is a part-time salaried position at 25 hrs/week, including Thursday evening choir gathering/rehearsal, preparation for Sunday morning worship services, and various meetings during the week. When in-person worship services resume, presence on Sunday mornings for in-person worship music leadership is expected. Time will also need to be given to prepare music notes for the Worship Team and Communications Team in a timely fashion. Some work may also involve children, youth, and intergenerational music activities.
Full benefits (health, dental, and disability insurance) will start 1 month after the date of hire. This position is eligible for one week of paid vacation and one week of sick pay the first year.
After one year of employment, this position is eligible for participation in UCUCC’s retirement plan.
UCUCC is a progressive church where you are welcome, whether, on any given day, you are believing, seeking or doubting. As an Open and Affirming congregation, we celebrate our diversity in religious background, sexual orientation, race, gender identity, and ability.
For more about our values, please check out our website: https://universityucc.org/who-we-are/
Find more information about our current music program, here: https://universityucc.org/music/